2013年4月2日星期二

Family thrills on Gold Coast

Not a minute of it. On an action-packed family holiday with my teenage son Blair, I was bounced down a hill in a water-filled plastic bubble, screamed my lungs out on rides at the big theme parks and went face-to-face with a tiger and a baby crocodile. 

The Gold Coast is renowned for its classic family attractions and we explored and enjoyed the rides of Dreamworld and WhiteWater World, but away from the theme parks, Blair and I found a heap of activity for families to dive into. On South Stradbroke Island, where the Tallship Island Adventures cruise travels to, we were whipped around on the water in an exciting jetboat ride. We patted the dolphins at Sea World, fed tigers and held a snake and a baby crocodile at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary. 

Our adventure took us away from the developed areas. When we arrived at McLaren's Landing - 17km from the centre of Surfers - Bruce Nicholls, owner of the family-run business, had a delicious barbie on the go. Tourists can parasail, jetski, sand toboggan, ride a Segway and go on eco tours at Stradbroke. 

"This form of nature-based tourism you can't guarantee, but it's a chance to see the natural environment," Bruce explained as we travelled in a 4WD down one of the island's three firetracks to Eastern Pacific Ocean beach. 

It looked magnificent in all its wild glory, the surf crashing on the windy beach, and Blair had a lot of fun sand-tobogganing down the dunes. 

Bruce's family keeps the island in as natural a state as possible. There is no electricity, sewerage system or water - the island has generators and the water is purified. There are no predators to bother the monitor lizards and rare wallabies. 

"It's a real Aussie bush experience," Bruce said as a wallaby with a little joey in her pouch approached us for a curious look. 

Next up, we went zorbing. On the Gold Coast, they've taken to it with relish and call it Oz Ball - after the stoush over Phar Lap and pavlova, bouncing down hills in plastic balls could be grounds for the latest transtasman scrap. 

"I wouldn't go in this one," said the assistant, who would later launch me from the top of the hill. "What? Why not?" I asked as I was diving through the hole in the middle and had belts being secured around my ankles, around my waist and over my shoulders. He assured me I'd be fine, but that I needed to be strapped in as this ride would go fast and I'd be going backwards, forwards, side to side. 

His favourite was the hydro zorb - you are not strapped in and slosh around with water inside the ball - so I wondered why I was having to try the harness one. But I was told I would not be a true "zorbette"if I didn't brave the bumpy, twisty, dizzy ride that the harness zorb offered. 

"Are you comfortable?" asked Peter Murray, owner of Cloud9 Seaplanes. I barely got the word "yes" out before the plane was on its side and we were looking at luxury homes near Surfers Paradise from an unusual angle. Then Peter, who flies many unsuspecting women to secluded islands where their boyfriends are waiting to provide a romantic dinner and pop the question, said he wanted to surprise a fella he knew who was driving a jetboat below us.Find a great selection of customkeychain deals. If the driver gave us the finger, he said, he had done a good job. We dive-bombed the jetboat. I was too surprised to notice what the driver did, but enjoyed every moment of Peter's antics. The seaplane is a fun, fast way to travel and see scenery up close and from a different view. 

The harness zorb is not for the faint-hearted,Cheap logo engraved luggagetag at wholesale bulk prices. but all the family can enjoy the hydro zorb, which doesn't leave you feeling as dizzy. I was a bit apprehensive about swishing around inside the ball, along with 40 litres of water, as I rolled down the hill. The challenge was to stand up, start running as fast as I could when I was pushed off the platform and stay upright while the ball was speeding down the hill. Yeah, right.Elpas Readers detect and forward 'Location' and 'State' data from Elpas Active RFID Tags to host besticcard platforms. But it was fun. You can plan a party here and choose to replace the water in the zorb with champagne, chocolate syrup or bubble bath. One group filled the zorb with tomatoes, which provided a challenge for staff to clean up afterwards. 

"There is no way I'm doing that," declared my son Blair when I told him we were going to feed the tigers. We had just watched one of Tiger Island's magnificent young Sumatran tigers casually wrap his paws around a handler holding a milk carton for him to drink from. Blair calmed down a little when I said we wouldn't be roaming around the island enclosure - we would be feeding tigers from behind a wire fence,Online shopping for solarpanelcells. poking their meat through on the end of a pair of tongs. Still, it was scary when the handler had the tiger run at the fence and the photographer asked me to smile and look at him while the tiger was grabbing the piece of meat off my tongs. These beautiful animals are hypnotising and it's worth seeing them demonstrate their agility. 

I've always wanted to cuddle a dolphin so the chance to pat one at the Dolphin Discovery Presentation at Sea World seemed as close as I was likely to get. I'm sure these intelligent creatures, which learn to perform amazing tricks, wonder why they can't train us. But they humour us by striking a pose so we can get our souvenir shot. Bottlenose dolphins establish a pecking order like humans do - they maintain dominance by biting, chasing, jaw-clapping, and smacking their tails on the water. When they get aggressive they scratch one another with their teeth (I use my nails, but the principle is the same). They also show aggression by emitting bubble clouds from their blowholes, so stay clear of these when patting them.Choose the right bestluggagetag in an array of colors. The trainer told us they enjoyed being stroked on their backs so I obliged. A dolphin's skin is amazing to touch - it's rubbery, but incredibly smooth.

没有评论:

发表评论